kbhit() gtk equivalent

is there a command that is equal to kbhit()

I have a function which do take a lot of time to
execute(sometimes 10 secs, sometimes 4 hours or more).
I want the function to be broke if user wants to. I
have tried with multi threading but it hangs when i
draw something using the thread[anyway that drawing is
for eye candy and I WANT IT]. so, the only way to
break the loop isto provide something like kbhit() [or
i should ask the user to define how much time the loop
should be executed].