Re: GtkComboBox aesthetics

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 14:13, John Coppens wrote:
Now, for some reason, GtkComboBox by default uses a height of 32-odd
pixels, while an entry has only 23 or so. This makes for a very ugly
combination... Strangely, a GtkComboBoxEntry does have the same height as
the normal entry, but I don't want to permit editing...

I agree with you this is very very annoying and would love to see a
reasoning why it's like that.

I will say in GTKs defense that every widget platform I've ever used has
the same problem.  Win32, Borland, QT and Web Forms all do the same
thing and have fat combo widgets.  Technically it's just a text entry
with a button at the end, so it should have been easy to make the combo
the same size as a text entry.  I can only assume they didn't to keep
consistent with everything else on the planet.

Good luck sizing the combo yourself.  I read a thread several months
back about how they plan on fixing the combo resizing ugliness.  Don't
know what version of GTK that was aimed for though.  Might be dependent
on Cairo since it's the button image that causes most of the issues.