How to force a GtkWidget to draw itself?

hello:

By default, the double buffered property of GtkWidget
is on, I donn't want to turn it off,because i need it,
and also, it appears that I should turn the widget's
all parents' double buffer property.

OK, let me tell my problem:
In my program, I created a Gtk_fixed widget, there
already are some images on it, and in a function, I
put more images, and I want these new images show on
the GtkFixed widget for a small time(100 or 200
ms),and then delete these new images. and now, i
encounter a problem due to the double buffer property.
There new images do not show on the GtkFixed widget at
all!

How to force the GtkFixed widget to draw itself to
make these new images shown?
and ,How to make these new images shown only for
100ms? (sleep function allow only second, that is too
long)
I really need your help, thank you!