RE: Popup Menu

Is there a way I can make my application be just a popup menu?  I
mean, when the user opens it, there is no window, it automatically
pops up a menu right where the mouse pointer is. Is that possible?

Why not?  I wrote a console utility that uses GTK to rip text out of the clipboard (I still can't figure out
how to put text back, and get it to stay there though).

But that program goes no where near actually creating any widgets in its entire lifetime.  A GTK+ can do as
much or as little as it wants.  It can wait an hour before bringing up the main window, or wait for a file to
appear, or wait for the junk food machine down the hall to give change (You'll need a hall-effect
junk-flipflop for that! ;) ).

Just look at the gtk_menu_popup functions, I believe they pop the menu up right by the mouse by default
anyhow.  And if you wanted, you can even bind gtk_main_quit to the destroy (?) signal of the popup menu once
it's built, to have the program automatically quit when the menu closes (although more likely you'll want to
actually do something first ;) ).

Fredderic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com