Re: Omega character

bunch of OHM and OMEGA signs, subtle differences in characters.

Of course, the reason why they have different code points is not
that they might look different (this is just a coincidence, caused
by Pango rendering them from different typefaces). The reason the
separate ohm sign exists is presumably a roundtrip compatibility
requirement (i.e. there is some older character encoding that has
it).

I figured the difference in look was just the selection of font...  But I also figured that since there WAS
an Ohm character, it would probably be best to use it, particularly since I'm guessing it's packed in along
with a number of other mathematically minded symbols?  So if you're going to be using a few of them, at least
you know there's the best chance that they'll suit each other...

In fact, the Unicode standard says that the preferred
representation *is* the Greek capital omega. There aren't different
Unicode character for the Latin letters used for SI units either,
so there is no real reason to use a separate character for ohm in
new applications.

Someone should write a bunch of headers packed with #define's to go along with the various sections of the
Unicode standard...

#include "unicode/siunits.h"
#include "unicode/klingon.h"    // ;)

(BTW, is klingon listed in the Unicode standard?!?)

Fredderic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com