system tray applications

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post so please be kind if you have heard this all before :P

I have an appilcation that i want to minimise to the system tray, much
like gaim's system tray plugin. There is not much information
available on the web regarding how to implement it and from what there
is, it is a couple years old and points to using libegg and
eggtrayicon.h .  My question is, is this still the only way to make
use of the system tray or are there new libraries available to use?

Also, can anyone point me to a specific example of how to implement
and communicate to a system tray app

Thanks,
Rob