weird localization problem - app loses locale setting

Hello

What could cause an application to lose its locale setting? I'm trying to debug a problem (in Gaim) in which it loses its locale setting when a conversation window is open and after that everything appears in English. It only happens in a few computers, and in those computers it happens everytime. I attached a screenshot which shows the exact point it occurs: notice that from the window up to the tooltip text is in Portuguese, and the "warn" button is in English. After this, every other screen will show up completely in English.

Still, I've looked through the code and couldn't find anything suspicious. It only has references to setlocale, bindtextdomain, etc at the beginning. Has anybody encountered such a problem before? What could possibly cause this behaviour?

Thanks in advance,
--

Cristóvão Dalla Costa
cbraga freedows com