Drag and drop drag-motion (GTK+ 1.2)

I'm trying to do drag across a set of GtkEntry fields.  I call
gtk_drag_source_set() and gtk_drag_dest_set() on each field and attach
signals drag-begin drag-end drag-motion and drag-leave.  (I don't use
drag-drop because I want each field to be changed as soon as the pointer
enters it.)

I detect the signals drag-begin and drag-end in the source widget, but I
see no drag-motion or drag-leave events at all.

What do I need to do to get signals emitted on the fields as the pointer
passes through them?

It is not really possible to show code, because this is being programmed
in an Eiffel wrapper, rather than directly in C.  But if there is an
example that works in C, I will be able to see how to change the wrapper
to make it work.

--
Oliver Elphick                                          olly lfix co uk
     "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God..."