Re: [Gimp-developer] Console window on Win32

Replying to your own message is a sign of insanity.  Guilty as charged.  :)

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:47:44 -0400, Nathan Summers <rockwalrus gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:15:37 +0000, Tor Lillqvist <tml iki fi> wrote:
Sven Neumann writes:

One could even go so far that if there is a consensus among GTK+ app
developers (whose apps run on Win32) that the opening of console
windows in GLib was a silly idea and has been of little use, that code
could just be removed. g_print() etc would then write to stdout or
stderr, like on Unix, regardless of whether they are connected to
anything or not. It would then be the end user's responsibility to
redirect stdout/stderr of a GUI application to a file if they want to
see whatever might be written to stdout/stderr.

Could we have a raise-of-hands here? Who thinks GLib shouldn't bother
doing that console window allocation stuff at all?

I too think it's more trouble than it's worth.  If nothing else, it's
different from how stdout is treated on X (and I assume other ports as
well).  Since a lot of Windows GTK stuff is just ported over from X,
it's likely that the developers don't even know that they are spamming
the Windows users.

On the other hand, if it were just factored off into a separate
function, and suitable implementations were provided for the other
ports, I could see this as a useful optional g_log handler that a GTK
app could choose to install.

Rockwalrus