Re: compiling gtk apps on windows using gcc

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:08:46 +0000
Tor Lillqvist <tml iki fi> wrote:

Hubert Sokolowski writes:
 > I am developing a gtk application. I found that on windows it runs
 > slowly then on linux.

On identical machines? What kind of speed differences are you seeing?
tens of percents? Orders of magnitude?
yes, on the same machine. I don't know how to compare it, but it is
visible. for example my program draw points and lines between these
points. when a user drags a point, it is redrawn. on linux it runs
smoothly when user moves a point, but on windows (the same machine) it
whips and does not draw smoothly.

 > It is visible when my application draws lines and rectangles to
 > GdkPixmap

As an X11 graphics context (GC) (which is what GdkGC's are closely
modelled upon) doesn't map well to a Windows device context (DC),
gdk/win32 has to do quite a lot of things for each gdk_draw_*().

For gdk/x11 it's much simpler, the simple gdk_draw_line() etc calls
map more or less directly to X11 protocol requests.

A GTK+ application that draws *lots* of lines, rectangles etc will
presumably be significantly slower on win32. (No, I don't have any
hard numbers to back up this.) Sorry, really not much one can do about
it.
Have anyone tried to make some tests with gtk compiled with visual c++
or other c compiler on windows? I have heard that programs compiled with
gcc runs slower on windows then the same program compiled with visual
c++. Please don't get me wrong, I really love open source software and
have written some programs licensed with GPL, even quite usefull for
some people:).

--
Greetings,
Hubert Sokolowski