Re: Chaining of dispose and finalize

On 09/04/04 00:04, Russell Shaw wrote:
Jeff Franks wrote:
Russell Shaw wrote:

Hi,

I made an object (View) derived from GObject.

I overide the parent dispose and finalize pointers:

static void
view_class_init(ViewClass *klass)
{
   parent_class=g_type_class_peek_parent(klass);       // static

   GObjectClass *gobject_class=G_OBJECT_CLASS(klass);
   ViewClass *view_class=VIEW_CLASS(klass);

   gobject_class->dispose=view_dispose;
   gobject_class->finalize=view_finalize;

This means the next two functions should call g_object_real_dispose()
and g_object_finalize():

static void
view_dispose(View *view)
{
   if(view->dispose_has_run)
       return;
   view->dispose_has_run=TRUE;
}

static void
view_finalize(View *view)

But how do i do that when g_object_real_dispose() and g_object_finalize()
are both declared static in gobject.c ?

With lines like these to call the parent (i.e. GObject) functions in
view_dispose():

G_OBJECT_CLASS (parent_class)->dispose (view);

But in view_class_init() above, i did: gobject_class->dispose=view_dispose,
so G_OBJECT_CLASS(parent_class)->dispose(view) will recursively call itself
forever.

and in view_finalize():

G_OBJECT_CLASS (parent_class)->finialize (view);

So will this.

no, it won't.  parent_class is a static version of the XXClass struct (where
"XX" is the name of the class your object is inheriting from).  gobject_class
is the static version of _your_ ViewClass struct (casted to its base type,
the GObjectClass).  they are two different instances (in fact, two different
types).

        -brian