Generating widget images offscreen?

Hi,
I am trying to create an application that will create an instance of a widget (GtkButton, GtkLabel, ...), set a particular state, and then take a snapshot of the widget. So far I am assuming I would use gtk_widget_set_state with the particular state I want to widget to render in. The problem I am running into is being able to create an offscreen window. I could not find a good way to do this. As far as I saw, GtkWindow doesn't have a GtkWindowType of "offscreen". Theoretically I could use support methods to move it off into oblivion. But what I am really looking for is a scratch window that will not show up in the window manager. Is there an equivalent for this in Gtk? Has someone done anything similiar? I would be grateful for any recommendations.

Thanks,

Joshua Outwater