"What's This": how should an application developer implement this???

Hello,

I need to implement "What's This" for a database application. There are so many
input fields, I need a "What's This" to disambiguate and explain the function of
each field. Without "What's This" you can get a general idea from tooltips, or,
you'd have to go through the entire user manual looking for an answer. In the
real world people often do not have time for that. Even worse, it's harder to
get translators to translate a full manual, but not so hard to get translators
to translate a few "What's This" entries generated with GNU gettext.

So, how do I implemnt "What's This?" with GTK? It seems to me that
generic widgets have builtin tooltip support but no whatsthis support.
Perhaps they should? How else can I implement it?

Thanks,

Neil