Re: How to dispaly an Widget during callback processing

G Hasse ha scritto lo scorso 14/10/2004 9.18:
On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 09:04:24AM +0200, Carlo wrote:

gtk rapp-informatik de ha scritto lo scorso 13/10/2004 23.46:

In my callback have a few longer processes
Is ist possible in GTK 1.2 to show a an information message in a widget like "Please wait I am working"
I am searching way to force to call gtk_main to show this info widget.

I there any call to gtk_main to do this.

 while (gtk_events_pending ()) {
   gtk_main_iteration ();
 }

You should never have the UI waiting for som operation to complete.

Put your large amount of work in a separate process and make the
UI communicate with that process. This is fairly simple to do and
the user should be mutch happier.

In scientific computing, there are a lot of cases in which users *must*
wait until some quite time-consuming operations must be performed; in
this cases, how about using some kind of "I'm still alive" announcement
(like a bouncing progressbar or so)? and how about implementing it by a
gtk_events_pending loop?

Thanks for help
günther