Re: help system

Andreas Volz wrote:

Am Mon, 4 Oct 2004 20:26:09 -0200 schrieb Paul Pogonyshev:
Hi.

Can anyone suggest a way of providing a context-sensitive
help in a GTK+ application?  I don't want to depend on
GNOME if possible.  On the other hand, I'd like the help
to be consistent with GNOME if that is installed.

I've this problem also in a project. At configure time I try to detect
if Gnome (gnome-help; yelp) is installed and if so I install all data
that is needed for gnome-help. If it's not detected I install the to
HTML converted docbook data and display it into a browser. But there're
still some problem. I found no perfect way to invoke the users "default"
browser. Currently I let him select one from a list and remember this
value.

If you like to know more about this I can send you more information. I
need a lot of time to change the autotools stuff to my special
situation.

Yes, I'd like to know more.

Actually, I tried to plug in a call to gnome_help_display() into my
application and it seems I need to use a whole lot of GNOME shit just
for this to work.  I'm strongly disappointed here.

Paul