Re: How did Gnome/KDE do it?

Tristan,
Thanks for that.
Do you mean that X composite extensions aren't
available for QT, or for QT and also for gtk?  So in
gtk, if you move the label, does it know to only
redraw (clear) the area where the label was
previously, and then redraw it in the new position, or
do you, as I suppose, have to take care of what
regions you want redrawn?  Is the same true of QT?  If
neither toolkits do this, then maybe this function can
be better done in OpenGL, since you can access the
framebuffer directly and erase only the old position
of only the text, which I read that you can't do
(can't access frame buffer directly) in, at least, QT.
 However, I've been advised not to use OpenGL in this
way on the EFNET channel.  Perhaps I misread the
advise given there.  What are your thoughts on all
this?

The answer you gave did help me understand the
situation more clearly.

--- Tristan Van Berkom <tristan van berkom gmail com>
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:03:02 -0800 (PST), G B