FileChooser questions

I'm making Dia use the FileChooser, and have a couple questions:

1)  What version of Gtk would it be appropriate to require?  I don't want to force people to use the very
newest version, since it'll take a while to get that into distros and such, but I want a version that at
least works without crashing.  Since we currently only require GTK 2.0, there's a lot to choose from.  The
FileChooser is the only 2.4+ thing we're using so  far.

2)  Which of the file-related functions (file_chooser_[gs]et_filename, file_chooser_set_current_name etc) use
full paths and which use just the name part?  It's not well documented in the API docs, and I'm getting
crashes when I give the wrong thing.

-Lars