disabling buttons

Is there anyway to disable a GTK button once it has been pressed (and re-enabled upon other conditions) similar to javax.swing.AbstractButton.setEnabled(boolean)...??? I have a simulation running and one button that starts it all... I would like to ensure the "start" button cannot be pressed while the simulation is running... Is there any way to do this...???

        - Ian

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it
 harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg..."
        -- Bjarne Stroustrup