dynamic socket descriptor management

Hello,

Well, I've got a multi-threaded softphone GNOME client up and limping. I'm having some trouble writing to a socket. The client seems to lock up when I try to do it from a thread. I'm wondering whether I need to make use of gtk_input_add(). Trouble is, the socket I want to write to is "dynamic". This means the user can change UDP ports and therefore cause the socket to be opened and closed on demand. What are the implications for GNOME for doing this? I've read that gtk_input_add() needs to be called before gtk_main(). This would clearly be violated by what I'm trying to do.

Thanks,
FM