Re: proprietary software with gtk/win32

Dear Felix,

Firstly, the usual disclaimer - I'm not a lawyer, but ...

1) Does this paragraph (see below, copied from www.gtk.org) mean that it
is allowed to use gtk+/win32 for proprietary software only if we don't
charge our customers at all -- or the oposite, that we are allowed to
develope windows software using gtk+ without being charged by the gtk+
people?

GTK+ is free software and part of the GNU Project. However, the
licensing terms for GTK+, the GNU LGPL, allow it to be used by all
developers, including those developing proprietary software, without
any license fees or royalties.

The latter.  You are allowed to use it without being charged by the gtk+
people.

However, you need to abide by the rules in the license, basically including
allowing your application to be dynamically linked against a different
version of GTK+ and supplying source code to GTK+ if you supply the
libraries (but not source code to your own application if you don't want to)
etc. etc.  Read the whole license for full details.

2) Is it true that the windows version of gtk+ is still 1.x and will not
be ported to 2.x?

No that's not true.  Tor Lillqvist (amongst others) puts a lot of effort
into maintaining the support under Windows, and makes pre-built libraries
available at:

    http://www.gimp.org/win32/

Apparently, there are one or two things that don't work quite as well, but I
have a complex application that works identically under Linux and Windows
without any real problems.

3) I see sylpheed-claws working on windows very well -- but is it
possible to integrate windows widgeds like movie playes into the gtk
graphical interface?

Don't know for this last one I'm afraid.

Richard.