Cursed cursors

Hi !

I would like to indicate to my users that the application is busy.  To
this end:

gdk_window_set_cursor (main_window->window, cursor = gdk_cursor_new
(GDK_WATCH)) ;
gdk_flush () ;

gdk_window_set_cursor (main_window->window, NULL) ;
gdk_cursor_unref (cursor) ;

This works great, but only for child windows where the cursor is the
default one.  For example, if main_window contains, say, a drawing area
where the cursor is currently set to, say, GDK_FLEUR, then the GDK_WATCH
cursor I set with the main window does not appear there.

What I would like is a setup where the cursor set for the container
overrides the cursors set for its children without having to call
gdk_set_cursor for each child - this would cause the drawing area in the
above example to set its cursor to GDK_WATCH permanently, and forget
that it was once GDK_FLEUR.

The only way that I can currently envision this is to maintain a cursor
stack for each child, and push onto it custom cursors, and keep track of
the parent-child relationships, and ... I'm sure there's an easier way -
isn't there ?

TIA