Re: search in GtkTreeView

I wrote:
Is it just me or is it a bug in GtkTreeView (GTK+ 2.2.2)?
Search doesn't seem to work after this:

    gtk_tree_view_set_search_column(GTK_TREE_VIEW(category_list), TEXT_COLUMN);

I think I misunderstood this search.  When I hit Ctrl-F, a text
entry appears that allows to type in string/characters to search
for.  OK, so it works.

But what I don't understand is why I need to press Ctrl-F at all.
It is a common practice in other toolkits (or Windows for that
matter) to allow users to type characters to search directly in
widgets that display text for search.  I.e. if I have a list with
items "Apple", "Banana" and "Orange" and hit 'b', the selection
would jump to "Banana" without any Ctrl-F.

Or let's say I'm using a hypothetical program where I often need
to select months from an option menu.  If it allows "instant"
search, I just press 'd' for "December" or 'm' to switch between
"March" and "May".  However, if this hypothetical program is in
GTK+, I have to use Space (to pop up menu) and arrows--many key
presses, or use mouse.  Inconvenient :(

Paul