Re: ListStore and cell rendering

gtk_tree_view_column_pack_start/end() is just what I was referring to
when I wrote:

I've read that it's possible to pack multiple renderers into a
column, but it seems to me that requires knowledge of how many
widgets the column will hold, ahead of time.

Is this the case? The point is, I don't know how many items each cell in a column could/will hold. I want to string any number of labels together in a cell based on the contents of a text string (how else can I have different tooltips based on where in the cell the mouse is hovering, as requested by the end user ?).

What I'm not comprehending from the documentation is:
A) gtk_tree_view_column_pack_start/end(): this affects an entire column at once, does it not? If not, how do these routines "know" which row within a particular column to pack the cell renderers into?

B) I told the ListStore model ahead of time what to expect in each column (COLUMN_STRING, COLUMN_STRING... etc) and then used gtk_tree_view_append_column() to add the appropriate columns to the TreeView object. I successfully appended columns with single cell renderers to the TreeView.. but these seem to be static, pre-defined properties. Can I really pack a different set of column renderers for different rows, as each new row is appended onto the list?

--
Ron Lockwood-Childs
VCT Labs, Inc.