Re: g_timeout_add events stop when calling draw_brush()

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 03:06:00PM -0800, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
Douglas Phillipson wrote:
I'm using  g_timeout_add (500, grab_data, NULL) to aquire data from a
file and shift it through an array with some procesing on it.  This all
works fine.  At the end of the routine I call draw_brush to paint the
data to the screen but the "timeout" event stops after the first call to
draw_brush.  I can comment out the draw_brush() call and events happen
as they should.  What might be causing this?
A more general question related to the above problem.

I'm not drawing. I'm displaying chart like graphic data points.  Without
 touching any buttons or the screen, how can I force an update to my
draw_area once a second?  I'm using g_timeout_add to force a read of a
file, all working well.  But I'm trying to throw a expose event on the
draw area from the function called by the "timeout" callback.  It
doesn't seem to force a screen update via draw_brush.  Any suggestions?

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're trying to do, but you
shouldn't draw from anywhere outside of handling an expose event. If
you want to "force" an expose event then use gtk_widget_queue_draw.

--jkl