Copy parts of one image to another

This is driving me absolutely nuts.  I have been trying for the past 3
days.  I have searched on Google and everywhere else logical.  My
question is, "How do I copy part of one image to part of another?"

What I want to do is copy a 16x16 area from my tileset image to a
background image and then display the results in a GtkEventbox.  I am
so frustrated because I just cannot figure this out.  If someone could
give me some example code doing this task, I would be *very*
appreciative.

--
Trevor