mysterious warning from Pango on Win32

I recently got my GTK-based application working on Windows,
using Mingw and the windows port of GTK.  However, something
went wrong when I started trying to make an installer,
using inno_setup4, that included all the DLLs my program
needs.  I fixed part of the problem (complaints from DLLs)
by removing GTK dlls from the WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 directory,
where they don't like to live.

There remains one problem.  When I launch my program from
the MSYS terminal it runs just fine, but when I launch it
by clicking the desktop icon or start menu entry it brings
up an error box:

 "** ERROR **: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion
failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0) aborting..."

and some error messages show up in the output window:

 ** (align.exe:468): WARNING **: The specified module could not
be found.  Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineWin32'
(same thing three more times)
(align.exe:468): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1561
(g_object_ref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (align.exe:468): CRITICAL **: file pango-engine.c: line 68
(_pango_engine_shape_shape): assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed

Issac Trotts
http://mallorn.ucdavis.edu/~ijtrotts
(w) 530-757-8789