Re: Re: Help with flickering widgets when showing and hiding!!

W liście z czw, 22-07-2004, godz. 18:14, crypto_stonelock sympatico ca
pisze:
Yes but I don't want to show all the widgets. I'm using a manually
created arrow browsable menu inside a box. There are 10 browsable
entries (I don't use GtkList browsing; I made my own) showing and when
I reach the bottom of the showing entries, if there are more entries,
the topmost entry gets a gtk_widget_hide and the new entry that isnt
showing yet at the bottom gets a gtk_widget_show. Its basically like a
viewport with 10 entries or less showing. The GtkList serving mostly
only as a container.

Whatever, better read documentation to gtk_widget_show_all(). Anyway,
the correct order is bottom-to-top, ie you gtk_widget_show() the most
toplevel widget last, when all children are already shown. I don't know
why you see the flicker, but it's very possible that GtkList messes with
some showing/hiding code, or maybe not. You should not see flicker, try
simple window with button only, and try if it flickers too. If so,
something is not right.

I understand this might not be the best but I learnt GTK+ not too long
ago and without much of any documentation about what I needed to knows
so... :).

That shows; gtk.org has both tutorial and ref docs, better read them
before your next project.

flicker is avoided. Also, if you use GTK+ 2, screen is indeed drawn
whole at once, using double-buffering. This is not the case with
GTK+
1.2, however. See also my remark about deprecated widgets and double
buffering higher in thread.

I use GTK+ 2.0

It's highly probably that GtkList will behave more than suboptimal with
GTK+ 2, due to extensive internal changes in toolkit

PS. Yes, GtkList is grave offence around here ;). Seriously though,
using it is going to hurt noone else but yourself, since getting any
reliable support for it is plain impossible.

Heheh, but i don't need support, it works fine.

Yes you do, no it doesn't. See this thread.

Now I know what CVS is and I don't see what the h*** this has to do
with my problem. It mostly just sounds like he was trying to plug in
his pet developping environment :). I don't need to add this CVS
infrastructure to my project. I'm working alone on it anyways so
there's no point using such a tool for now. Lets keep it simple :). On
a later project maybe. Not right now. The project is already underway
and I am not changing developing environment just for the fun of it.

Nothing, not really - just advised, maybe, not exactly true, that's not
the best way, highly advisable, sure, understandable but that's usually
done to have rather less "fun" than more.

Cheers,
Maciej

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"