Re: gtk_progress_bar_set_fraction is a cpu pig, why??

W liście z pon, 19-07-2004, godz. 00:12, Dave Andruczyk pisze:
I have an app that uses (GTK+-2.4.1) gtk_progress_bars to display information
in a graphical way,  updating more than  a few each time new data comes in
(20times/sec) results in abnormally high processor usage for my app and X.

I've traced it with a profiler, and the gtk_progress_bar_set_fraction() is the
call that causes all the trouble.   How does one enable GTK to be compiled with
profiling enabled so I can find out why the hell this is so inefficent?

I have other gtk apps (gtk-1.2 actually) that use
gdk_draw_points/lines/rectangles that draw 50,000 points/lines per second with
only about 5% X11 usage and 2% app usage.

updating a progressbar should NOT be such a pig in resource usage...

Are you using Pixmap-engine based theme? I did quick test involving
updating progressbar in timeout handler, with interval set to 5ms, and
with my current (pixmap) theme, it was taking >50% CPU, while with
default GNOME theme it was unmeasurable percentage. Always when you have
performance issues with GTK+, try changing theme :)

Cheers,
Maciej

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"