A list of standard signals

Is there a list of standard signal IDs anywhere? I am getting a bit
tired of faffing around in circular references and object lingo without
shape, form or content (ie. the GTK+ documentation). I would have
thought the very first thing to be documented in any project of some
complexity would be something along the lines of 'the following standard
parameters are relevant for this object'.

Sorry to be so sharp about it, but I really think the lack of thorough
documentation that is actually approachable for newcomers is the main
reason why new developers give up on GTK. Even Windows was better in
this respect from the very beginning.

/jan