internatinalization and UTF-8

Hello,

I encountered a funny problem today:

my fr.po file is encoded in UTF-8.
the install runs OK, make puts the file in /usr/share/locale/fr

All the strings from my .glade file show ok, the strings without
non-ascii characters from my .c files show ok.

But all the strings with non-ascii characters don't come up and they
stay in English.

The problem got fixed when I copied the .gmo file in
/usr/share/locale/fr_FR.UTF-8 , now all the strings show OK.

Pretty weird, isn't it?

How come it works OK with the .glade file? does libglade use a special
version of gettext internally?

Oh well, it works anyway so I don't mind that much.
--
 el greco  <<<<<<
StÃphane K. -----> http://brain.shacknet.nu