GtkTreeView

I've got one of these in my app - I just need some pointers...

Background - Its set to use liststore, so I have a simple list of a single
text column
I'm reading the description in via glade, when I see a tree view in the input,
i'm creating a list_store_new with a single character column, addeing the
renderer, appending the column etc etc

I can add to the list without a problem...

Now -
1) I need to get the count of items in the list
2) I need to find out of a particular row index is selected
3) I need to be able to retrive the text for a row index
4) I need to be able to delete a row from the list by row index

(where row index is the row number between 1 and the count of items)

Any ideas ?

Finally - has anybody got/shouldn't there be a CList type wrapper around the
treeview (as Clist is being depreciated - I'm trying not to use it) - but
this all seems like very hard work for something that used to be fairly
simple !