Re: pango font problem under windows

gcs+gtk gcs barcika tvnet hu writes:
I am not sure Windows topics is allowed here,

Yup. This is the GTK application development list, regardless of
platform.

It seems it can not find the pango.aliases file, which maps 'sans 12' to
existing fonts (it's located in my system32\etc\pango dir).

If so, there are a couple of points:

1) Firstly, Pango on Windows looks for the pango.aliases and
pango.modules files based on the location of the Pango DLL. If the
pango DLL is <foo>\bin\libpango-1.0-0.dll or <foo>\libpango-1.0-0.dll,
the pango.aliases and pango.modules files should be in
<foo>\etc\pango. (I.e. if the folder the DLL is in is named "bin", the
"etc" folder should be a sibling to it, otherwise the "etc" folder
should be a subfolder of it.)

So, if the "dropline" GTK installer puts the Pango DLLs in the
system32 folder, Pango should indeed be looking for its etc folder as
system32\etc\pango, and I don't know why it doesn't find it.

2) Actually, it is possible to override the above way to locate the
Pango top folder by using the Registry key. Does the dropline
installer add a HKCU\Software\pango 1.2.5\InstallationDirectory or
HKLM\Software\pango 1.2.5\InstallationDirectory string value to the
Registry?

3) But, an important point is that an installer definitely should
*not* put anything in the system32 folder. Installing 3rd-party stuff
into the Windows system(32) folders is a big no-no.

As you can guess from above, you probably should ask more information
from the people behind the dropline GTK installers...

How can I point the application to the pango.aliases?

(and to the pango.modules file, without which Pango will also be
rather useless.) Sorry, there isn't any other way than those described
above: Either make sure Pango is installed in a folder structure as
described, or use the Registry value.

--tml