Re: "Official GNOME 2 Developers Guide" (for newbies like me)

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 19:08, weasel wrote:
Marshall Lake wrote:
Just got back from Linux World Expo and I finally found a good printed
book for GTK2 (and various other GNOME libs) from No Starch Press.  Its
suppose to be out in Feb of 2004 and will be available on
www.nostarch.com.  I checked out a preliminary printed copy and it looks
like a great book for the beginner and beyond.

Oreilly (www.oreilly.com) is also taking preorders.  I suggest people
pick this one up as it not only goes over the various libs but but shows
how to use them to integrate your app into the GNOME framework.

It appears it's the same book at both nostarch and oreilly.  It might be a
little cheaper at oreilly, though, since I believe the price includes
shipping.

No Starch Press is the publisher, and O'Reilly is the distributer...

I spoke with the President of No Starch Press at the conference and he
said he would send me a PDF of the book, cause it released under some
licence (forgot what its called) that allows that.  I will ask him if
its ok to forward to the list when I get it.

I am probably going to preorder from O'Reilly today.  Nothing like
holding it in your hand...heh.

Nick

I believe it is under the free document license.  I'm gona preorder
also.  Besides holding it in your hands it is nice to give back to
Matthias Warkus (not to mention the translators) who did an excellent
job getting this book out.  I talked to him on IRC awhile back and he
didn't seem to be making that much money off the book.  I've been
waiting to get my hands on it ever since.  Perhaps the English release
will get him enough money to consider doing a second edition ;-)

--
J5