Label widgets

I've got an application written using GTK - but I have hit some issues with
the creation of display of labels..

Basically, the application needs to represent something like the display on an
old VT style terminal, so I have up to 80x24 labels (each within a
GtkEventBox so I can set a background) to create and update when displaying
to the 'screen' (I'm using a GtkFixed to put them on)..

This runs fine (but slowly)....

Also - when I update the screen, it tends to 'flow' across rather slowly as
each cell gets updated..

1) Is there a better way to do this?
I can't do much to remove the old cell mechanism - its the way the application
needs to run. Also - I need to be able to set foreground and background
attributes for any 'cell', so its difficult to even try to use a single label
for the whole line (using fixed width fonts)...

2) Is there anyway to speed up the create ?

3) Is there anyway to remove the flickering/flowing (eg  by suspending redraws
on the gtkfixed so the fixed is only redrawn after all cells have been
updated). ?

I've looked into using something like a 80x24 table widget - but thats even
slower. And I can't even use something like the zvt library - as I want to
intermix the GUI components (like entry fields and buttons) in between the
labels, as well as embed frames for further old style 'windows'..

TIA

(Application is for use by Aubit4GL - http://aubit4gl.sourceforge.net)