DND signals coming twice

I am trying to fix some odd behavior in the balsa email client.
Balsa allows one to drag data of type x-application/x-email into the To:
field of its email composer.  However, when I drop an email address,
it appears in the To: field twice.  I am using gtk+ 2.2.4.

I looked at things a little closer and noticed that both the DND consumer
(balsa) and producer (gnomecard) are receiving DND signals twice.
Balsa receives two drag_data_received signals and gnomecard receives two
drag_data_get signals every time I drag an address from gnomecard and
drop it in balsa.  All relevant custom signal handlers are executed twice.

The odd thing is that this dropping a subject into the composer's Subject:
field works fine (the widget's built in DND handlers are used in this
case).

I've looked over the DND code in balsa and gnomecard and it looks fine.
I've also compared it to testdnd.c.

I found one similar post (but it was never answered):

I am using gtk_drag_begin to start a drag and drop operation.

I have called gtk_signal_connect for "drag_get_data", "drag_end" and
"drag_data_delete".

When I perform a DND operation, each of these callbacks gets called twice
for widgets that provide native DND capabilities (e.g. for a text widget
they get called twice but for a label widget they only get called once).

I have tried calling gtk_drag_source_unset to remove any DND capabilities
already present but this has no effect.

Any ideas about what could be causing this?

--
Mike

:wq