How to print?

Hi, group.

I'm a beginner on programming in Linux (as everyone has been, i hope ;)
and using GTK1.4 (I think!)

I haven't seen in GTK documentation (I've been looking a bit, but not a
lot) any way to print like sending to a file. I mean, imagine someone that
connects an old printer to the LPT, without "installing" it (just like old
MS-DOS printers). Can I send directly the characters to the lpt port? Like
<<write (lpt1, "hello\n");>>

(I wish it was any "dos-like" way to print something...

Don't know if it's a GTK call or a system call...

Thanks in advance and sorry if it's not where I've to ask this...

.-:Namarie:-.

p.s. another question, is there any way to write and read to/from USB like
doing it with files?