Saving and loading drawing area images

Hello,

I'd like for the user of my application to be able to save a drawing made
in a drawing area to an external file in some sort of standard format
(png, jpg, gif, whatever), and to be able to load a previously-saved
drawing back in for modification or to use as a background for another
drawing.

Looking through the gtk 2.x / gdk libraries nothing grabbed my attention
as providing such functionality.  Am I overlooking such a set of what I
thought would have been standard routines?  If none are part of the
standard package, where can I find such a set of routines?

Thanks,

Bryan

* Bryan Brown      <*>              bbrown radix net
* http://www.radix.net/~bbrown