Help: rendering dots in grayscale

Hi!

I plan to write a GTK application to receive text transmitted
over the shortwaves in a "fuzzy digital" mode, e.g. characters
transmitted as a dot matrix and rendered directly on the screen
(somewhat like fax). This necessitates rendering the dots in
gray scale in a drawing area I presume, and here is where I need
help since I have no experience in this aspect of GTK.

While I sift through info available in the GTK tutorial and API
docs, I would appreciate any hints on what widgets to use and
how to refresh the screen to avoid flicker (the dots would be
arriving at about 8 msec intervals).

My thanks in advance!

--
Regards

Neoklis    Ham Radio Call: 5B4AZ  QTH Loc: KM64MR