Changing styles dynamically

I've created some styles using gtk_rc_parse_string and attached these to
various widgets (basically event boxes and labels).

When the user clicks on a label - I'd like all the labels with the same
current 'style' name (ie I've called gtk_widget_set_name with the same name
for more than one label) to dynamically change the background to indicate
that that 'range' of labels has been selected. Selecting something else will
change the previously selected lot of labels back to normal and highlight the
new set...

I've tried just reparsing a new gtk_rc_parse_string for the name - but that
doesn't seem to do anything..

Is there any easy way to globally update the style ? (ie without having to go
through every widget using that style)