"changed" signal operation for GtkTreeSelection

Hello,

I found in the FAQ information about capturing the occasion when a user selects a row in a ListStore -- providing a callback for the "changed" signal emitted by the GtkTreeSelection. However, this is causing me grief in my current application, as I have witnessed the following behavior:

The ListStore in my application contains the contents of a directory. The current working directory can be altered by selecting one of the directories named in the list, which will replace the ListStore's contents with the contents of the selected directory. Unfortunately, when I select an item from the list (which has no items currently selected), the application receives two "changed" events in a row: one for the very first item in the list, followed by the item the user selected -- that is, if it isn't the first item in the list. I haven't any idea how to work around this behavior, since I can't know a priori whether the user will select the first item, and therefore immediately handle the signal and change the ListStore's contents; or the user will select an item further down in the list and I should ignore the first event (except in the simple case in which the list contains only a single item!).

Assistance/advice will be appreciated.

--
Ron Lockwood-Childs
VCT Labs, Inc.