Re: sizeof (struct) differs from Windows and Linux. How can I fix this?
- From: Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu>
- To: edward hage <edha xs4all nl>
- Cc: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: sizeof (struct) differs from Windows and Linux. How can I fix this?
- Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:36:20 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, John Cupitt wrote:
This is part of C: you can't write() a struct on one machine and
read() it on another. They may have different alignment rules (I think
this is the cause of your problem), or even different endian-ness.
Yup. Binary files are simply not portable. A possible alternative
to John's suggestion is to save the information in text form
(possibly structured text, e.g. XML) and read back into a struct
from the text representation.
Department of Economics
Wake Forest University, NC
] [Thread Prev