Re: GTK+ app hang on win32
- From: John K Luebs <jkluebs luebsphoto com>
- To: todd <toddf simosoftware com>
- Cc: Dave Andruczyk <djandruczyk yahoo com>, gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: GTK+ app hang on win32
- Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:33:52 -0500
On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 02:54:07PM -0800, todd wrote:
win32 doesn't support multiple threads in this way and in fact it is not
safe to do this in linux either.
I don't know why it wouldn't be safe to use multiple threads in linux.
As long as the Xlib calls are properly serialized (accomplished by
threads_enter/threads_leave), Xlib is completely thread agnostic.
Win32 on the otherhand, deadlocks because the Window message handler is
always called from the thread that called CreateThread. An internal call
to SendMessage with the lock held will possibly result in another thread
(the window thread) processing the message, which will try to acquire
the gtk lock, which can never be freed. This problem is peculiar the
] [Thread Prev