gtk_file_chooser page faults (win32)

This is a win32 problem, but I thought this might be an appropriate
place.

I'm trying to build a program using GTK that will run under both linux
and MS Windows.  On the MS side, I'm using MinGW/MSYS.  I'm using the
GTK files from the Tor Lillqvist page.

When I began with the program, I was using GTK 2.2.x, I believe it was.
For file browsing, I was, of course, using gtk_file_selection..  I've
since upgraded to GTK 2.4 and have converted to gtk_file_chooser..
Actually, I'm using gtk_file_chooser_dialog..

As of now, most of my time has been spend under Linux working things
out.  I can't recall when I last did a thorough test under Windows, but
now, upon executing the program in DOS window, I get a page fault when
trying to do file browsing.  the original file chooser dialog doesn't
appear.  In the DOS screen, I get about 4 warnings, coming from various
GTK source files, where "... filename != NULL failed...".

The file chooser seems to work fine if called under msys, as well as
under Linux.  I have some tarball backups of the sources of my program.
All that use "file chooser" crash.  I have one version prior to changing
from gtk_file_selection.  I even recompiled it to day and it works.

This crash could be caused by something I'm doing, and not by
gtk_file_chooser,  but it doesn't show up under msys or Linux.  I wonder
if anyone else has encountered anything like this?

I compile for windows with the options -mno-cygwin -mms-bitfields.  I
hadn't been using -mwindows, but I even tried that, to no avail.

I appreciate any suggestions.  At the moment, it appears that I may have
to go some other route with my file selection, if it isn't something I'm
doing, but, again, it seems to be a quirk with running under the DOS
prompt, unless it is a bug that the other systems are letting me get by
with.