colors and tool buttons/menu items

I'm modifying some colors in my application (though the app's default state is the selected theme, i want to provide some simple way to change the color of a few items) and I'm having trouble with the following:

I'm using gtk_widget_modify_fg() and gtk_widget_modify_bg() for all of the widgets mentioned.

toolbar buttons: i can change the color of the whole toolbar but the individual buttons still turn gray when moused over and pressed. attemps to alter the toolbutton widget itself don't make a difference (i tried GTK_STATE_NORMAL, GTK_STATE_PRELIGHT, GTK_STATE_ACTIVE). when i use gtk_tool_button_get_label_widget(), i don't get a valid widget returned, otherwise i would try setting at least the fg color of the text.

menu items: the menubar itself is changing color, no problem. I can set the foreground color on menu item labels. However, the only menu item bg color I've been able to change is by using GTK_STATE_PRELIGHT, and this only changes color when the menu item is selected. Otherwise bg is gray.

I'm using GTK 2.4 and WinXP.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Marisa