Re: Regarding: Number of items in a dropdown list of a Combo box

"Kang, Michael" wrote:

I have 30 items in a Combo box. Right now, I can show all 30 of them
together.  However, the dropdown list is too long.

Is there a way to show 5 items, as well as a vertical scroll bar, in
the dropdown list at one time?

Though probably not impossible, I don't think there is a simple way of
achieving this constraint. At least I don't know any. I rather think
your intention conflicts with good GUI (and GTK+) design goals.

Note that many people feel quite annoyed by dropdown or other lists
which are so small that they only show a tiny fraction of all the
available entries. For instance, in Windows it's a common problem of
badly designed apps that sometimes only 2 or 3 entries out of 100 or
more are shown. For the rest, the user has to scroll to death (the
scrollbars are tiny then, too).

Most likely I'm not the only one who appreciates that GTK+ by default
prevents such bad design. For your users sake you probably shouldn't try
to enforce it.

You know, dropdown lists of GtkCombos get their scrollbar automatically
anyway, if there are more entries than the opened list can display.