Accelerator groups

I'm trying to add several function keys to an
accelerator group (FK1, FK2, etc), and connect a
function to each.

Can't find much documentation on this, though it seems
it should be pretty simple.  Here's what I'm doing:

FK_accel_group = gtk_accel_group_new();
F1_func = g_cclosure_new(
GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(xform_session),
                          GINT_TO_POINTER(16), NULL);

gtk_accel_group_connect (FK_accel_group, GDK_F1,
                              GDK_CONTROL_MASK,
GTK_ACCEL_VISIBLE, F1_func);

    gtk_accel_groups_activate (G_OBJECT (window),
GDK_F1, GDK_CONTROL_MASK);

It's getting nothing when I hit F1.

TIA,
William