Re: Discontinuation of GNOME Clipboard Manager

> > For example: This has been fixed but even the formatting of the data
> > itself was not in sync between some applications. Some time ago
> > OpenOffice.Org used UTF-8 and Mozilla UTF-16 for the formatting (I can
> > be wrong here, I don't remember it very well). It rendered
> > copy-and-pasting text with layout between both applications impossible.
>
> I guess it would be worthwhile for someone to set up a project/web-page
> with a list of guilty applications, and the specific errors in their
> clipboard formats, in terms of open standards. That might be a first
> step to getting these data-format problems fixed. After all, they sound
> like application problems rather than platform problems.

It's not nice and even more nor easy to create such a page without
creating huge amounts of havoc and anger. I am, for sure, not a
candidate for it. However, most of the clipboard related problems are
indeed, problems in the applications.

Forgive the diversion, but as an application developer who is trying to support the clipboard/drag drop (and more than just text), the documentation is difficult at best. Seems just creating better docs/"standards" might help this situation out.

My two personal pet peeves (and if someone has answers, by all means enlighten me!) are what formats should/recommended be made available and how to tell what formats an application is making available. I know I can ask for something and it will tell me if it is available, but how does one find out what the list is that is being made available to the clipboard? Would help in #1 if I knew what is being put to the clipboard in existing applications without dissecting piles of code.

Deron