RE: Rich-text editing in chunks

I'm trying to design a text editor that would allow specific blocks of
text in a document to be edited; in between them would be read-only
structure.  For example, the blocks could be enclosed in visual boxes,
with create/update timestamps attached.  It would be nice to
be able to
collapse and expand these boxes.

You can make text editable and non-editable in a GtkTextView.
About visual boxes - not sure, you might be able to.

I think an HTML-editing widget may be the way to go
(preferably one with
CSS support.)  Is there a well-developed one available?  And would it
allow me to selectively make certain bits read-only and others
editable?  Or would I have to program a custom widget?

So basically you need a syntax highlighting editor?
You could customise your GtkTextView, but other than that I think the
GtkSourceView widget is the closest you will find.  You can find it here:
http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/projects/gtksourceview

Regards,
Martyn