Re: statusbar

gtk_widget_modify_fg(GTK_STATUSBAR(statusbar),GTK_STATE_NORMAL,&color);
with "color" being defined as a GdkColor.  (This is on gtk 2.x, but it might
work for 1.2 though..)

Thanks a lot, unfortunately it seems that this does not exist on gtk 1.2.x...

I might have a solution (see below), but first, I want
to know how you got the background color to change?

This is a possible solution (there are others):

--------------------------------
event_box = gtk_event_box_new ();
gtk_box_pack_start (GTK_BOX (hbox), event_box, TRUE, TRUE, 0);
gtk_widget_show (event_box);

statusbar = gtk_statusbar_new ();
gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (event_box), statusbar);
context = gtk_statusbar_get_context_id (GTK_STATUSBAR (statusbar), "message");
gtk_widget_show (statusbar);

gdk_color_parse ("red", &color);
rc_style = gtk_rc_style_new ();
rc_style->bg[GTK_STATE_NORMAL] = color;
rc_style->color_flags[GTK_STATE_NORMAL] |= GTK_RC_BG;
gtk_widget_modify_style (event_box, rc_style);
gtk_rc_style_unref (rc_style);

gtk_statusbar_push (GTK_STATUSBAR (statusbar),
GPOINTER_TO_INT (context), "Hello World");
---------------------------------

A screenshot is here:
http://www.demat.ist.utl.pt/~carlos/statusbar.gif

It is easy to set the foreground color on a label, but in a statusbar
messages are popped/pushed entering directly the text (I could cast
the statusbar to a hbox and then insert a label, but then I would
end up with just a label in a hbox, not what I want...)

Looking into the rc_style structure might help... Moreover,
people writing themes might know about this...

Again, thanks for your answer,

Carlos