Strange Problems w/ gnome_error_dialog

Hello,

I use the following simple method to issue error dialogs in the Gnome version of a cross-platform application:

void GnomeGUISupport::postErrorMessage(const char *message, const char *title)
{
  gchar *s;
  GtkWidget *error;

  s = g_strconcat(title, ":\n", message, NULL);
  error = gnome_error_dialog(s);
  gtk_widget_show(error);
  g_free(s);
}

Sometimes when this method is called I see the following error message on the console:

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1554 (gtk_widget_show_all): assertion 'widget != NULL' failed.

And sometimes the application just goes into the weeds for a minute or so before terminating.

Does anybody have any idea what the heck is going on here? I'm running on RedHat 9.0.

Thanks,
Eric Mader
IBM GCoC - San JosÃ
5600 Cottle Rd.  M/S 50-2/B11